SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) – The man arrested in an accident that killed two women on New Year’s Eve was on trial on Tuesday on charges.
Troy McAlister pleads not guilty but remains in jail.
In the aftermath there has been increasing criticism of the way the San Francisco District Attorney has handled previous McAlister cases.
A new campaign calls on Chesa Boudin to resign.
Man charged with murder in San Francisco NYE crash that killed 2
Regulators Mandelman and Stefani believe these deaths could have been prevented and are now calling for a hearing to review the San Francisco public safety logs.
Driver Troy McAlister was on parole after his release from state prison in April and has since been arrested for multiple crimes. Five times in the past year alone, to be precise, and critics blame Boudin for why he was back on the streets.
San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin announced Tuesday several manslaughter against McAlister – the man arrested for a New Year’s Eve crash that killed two women.
Investigators say McAlister got behind the wheel of a stolen car when he gave a red light in the South of Market neighborhood and met 60-year-old Elizabeth Platt and 27-year-old Hanako Abe who were on the zebra crossing and killed.
SF police fatally arrests suspects in New Year’s Eve
McAlister was on parole at the time of the crash, so the San Francisco Police Officer’s Association is calling for an independent oversight body to review Boudin’s criminal decisions.
Meanwhile, San Francisco-based Richie Greenberg, who defiantly calls Boudin and denies his responsibility, has launched an online petition for Boudin to step down. So far, around 6,000 people who agree have signed it.
“He campaigned for a platform he called restorative justice, which is a very strange nebulous term for many of us. He’s keeping his promise in a sense, but I think this has gone way overboard, that there are destructive, very, very negative consequences that are being born now as we see last year. and it’s time for him to go. The city cannot continue on its current path, ”said Greenberg.
Boudin took to Twitter in defense and said he had met with the victims’ families:
“While of course no one predicted this tragedy, it is true that my office and other legal partners could have done things differently, which could have avoided this terrible outcome. I have to start with what we could have done differently in the house. We are carefully examining what happened and how prosecutors can act to prevent such tragedies from happening in the future. We will focus on three things as we proceed: to hold Mr McAlister accountable for the damage he has caused; Supporting the families of the victims; and working internally in our own office and with our judicial partners to make changes to prevent this type of tragedy. “
San Francisco defense attorney Mano Raju, whose office McAlister represents, made it clear that Boudin never represented him directly while serving as public defender.
He also declined calls to revive what he believed to be a failed “hard crime” rhetoric, saying in his words: “We cannot allow opponents of a fairer and more equitable criminal law to take advantage of this loss of life to convince others that The system we have long relied on is the best we can do. “